Friday, December 12, 2008

a first

I went to the movie theatre in Al Shatti for the first time. We took the kids to see Madagascar 2 (which was awful by the way). First we paid for our tickets and noted that children had to at least be 3 to go in. I decided Parker could be 3 for the day. ONLY for the day, or rather the 2 hours that it took to watch the lamo cartoon. We definitely needed some popcorn and as I walked up I spotted this HUGE thing of popcorn right in front of my face that was coated with what appeared to be an orange powder. I was openly disgusted and announced to David "the popcorn looks rancid, we better get something else...nasty." As the line cleared and got close enough to see above the heads I noticed something. (Plug in any angelic music here) They had several different popcorn machines. It looked like one was cheese, one was butter, one was plain and ONE....holy canoly, I started salivating at this point....was CARAMEL!

Yep, you read that right. Here in Oman they serve caramel popcorn. And it was warm and it was Y U M M Y! I need some now as I type. I was in heaven.

I could completely ignore the movie and focus on picking out the kernals with the most caramel on them.

When I move back to America...they better have caught up to this...AND it wasn't $8 a bucket...much cheaper.

I might just have to go back and watch a hindi film just so I can eat the popcorn.

6 comments:

Amjad said...

Actually I think caramel popcorn is available here in the US as well. I remember seeing caramel popcorns in malls here in Texas, not cinemas though. Cinemas here have only the regular popcorn, which is a disappointment since I like caramel popcorn. When I go to the mall, I go crazy on caramel popcorn. It's fantastic!

Hope you're having a good time in Oman.

Caroline said...

Our movie theater in Georgia did not have carmel popcorn but they did have all different flavors of stuff to shake on it, including cinnamon sugar :) Not as good as carmel though. If they had chocolate and caramel together they'd have to wory about me moving in!

Angry In Oman said...

In Canada the theaters have what I call *shakey shake* which is popcorn seasoning. I wish so much that they had this here. It comes in flavours like ketchup, BBQ, ranch, nacho, dill pickle, salt and vinegar, sour cream and onion... and now I'm drooling...

It's funny the little things, the little differences.

Al Nims Media said...

Even I am a huge fan of caramel popcorn. Watched Madagascar 2 at Ruwi cinema over Eid break and was very disappointed. Only saving grace was the company of crunchy caramel popcorns.

Muscato said...

We just discovered the caramel, too! It really does dress up the moviegoing experience, somehow.

Sorry about M2; and some of the Hindi movies can be a lot of fun...

Sythe said...

I enjoyed the penguins to be honest :)

But I felt it was a little over the top with the fighting.

Thats what I missed most when living in North America... the caramel popcorn in the cinema... they have it in the UK too... and here as well... I often cave-in to the caramel popcorn at the movies here. I think Markez Al Bhaja's caramel popcorn is better than Shatti's - but maybe I'm a caramel snob :P

Glad you've discovered something you like!