Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I am trying very hard to hold on to all of the positive emotions that go along with this move...but sometimes the negative slips in. It would be so much easier if I didn't have to actually say goodbye to anyone. If I could just leave. And not look back...avoid some of the pain of separation. There is this deep part of me that doesn't want to see people because I am terrified of the disappointment I might feel as I turn back for that one last parting glance...and they have already moved on because they didn't care as much about me as I cared for them. I will have to deal with the hurt of just being one less person to clutter the space around them. I have already seen this happen with people who have moved away or live a distance that I was once close to and have tried to keep in contact with. They just don't care about me as much as I care about them. It hurts.

As stressed out as I am about this move and getting everything done...or as close to done as possible, I still managed to try and carve out time for loved ones. Recently a friend and I had planned to do this fun activity we enjoy this summer and spend an entire weekend away. That never happened so I called to schedule a single day for us to go and have fun before I moved. I finally got ahold of her and we set the date for three weeks. I got a baby sitter and everything and continued to shift things around and postpone things that needed to get done so that that day would stay free. It was important to me. I talked to her about 5 days before the event and she was hesitant but confirmed our date. I called her the day before to discuss logistics and she told me she forgot and THAT MORNING she had told another family member (one she sees all the time! one who will be here after I leave!) that she would go with them and do something pretty average (meaning nothing compared to what we had planned) in the middle of the day. I said it was fine and bowed out graciously. But inside I was angry, hurt and my ego had taken a whack because what it amounted to was that she didn't care enough about me to protect the day to spend time with me - she chose someone else. Of course, I tried to reschedule, but the truth is I didn't want to go anymore knowing how little importance I was to her. And there is a lot of history there. Rescheduling didn't work because the kids have dr's appointments, etc to do before we leave. I knew how precious my time had become which is why I booked with her early and fought to keep that time ours. I guess I was most hurt when I texted her that I couldn't make the 2nd try because I was too booked at that point and she texted back something to the effect of that we should have planned earlier. Are you kidding me? We planned three weeks in advance!?! No we didn't know EXACTLY where we were going to meet, but that was easily decided the night before. How could she not take responsibility for her mistake? Maybe because it wasn't a mistake...but don't try to pass it off as if I was the one to blame. Some "friend!" And it is moments like these I want to avoid because honestly, it hurts my heart.

Along the same lines of "people- just- not- really- caring- enough- that- I -am- leaving" is the point that I am trying to get to the most...what is wrong with me? Why haven't I left behind a certain something that will be missed? Did I go about things the wrong way? What did I do wrong? We all want to be missed to some degree and I don't feel as if anyone will really know that I am gone. That makes me sad. I have left no imprint, set no standard with which others could hope to live up to...I have left - nothing. So, does that make me nothing? I mean, if I am so insignificant who can blame her for finding something else to do with her day? This feels a bit like it is her fault...but maybe it isn't, maybe I am simply not likeable.

Yes, I know I am being dramatic...but I really don't want to look back and see that look. I think I am taking with me the only thing anyone will miss in the form of my spirited children. And I can't really take credit for them. I simply ushered them into the world and tried to help them along, but ultimately they make their own paths and decisions and unlike some people that I know...they should take complete responsibility for their actions eventually. Full credit. I want them to get credit for all the good they do in the world, not me. Consequently, I think this is where most mothers get lost. They think that their children are their products. But that is wrong. The joy a mother feels when a child does something right, should be joy and not personal pride. I see parents wear their children's accomplishments as if they are their own. "MY son is in medical school!" and I have seen other parents act ashamed of their children as if what the child chose using HIS brain and free will was somehow their fault. This is false because the children are not us. We can be embarrassed by them, hurt by them, but ultimately when they are old enough they run their own lives. When parents think this way they give up a large part of themselves and sadly, it seems, though I have fought against it - I have lost myself. I consider myself a strong woman and I have tried to leave a legacy of continual excellence in all that I do and am passionate about, trying to touch peoples hearts, but it seems that I was ineffective.

And yet how wrong am I to be measuring my personal success based on what other people think or feel? I know it is wrong, it is certainly not what I am teaching my children. "Don't compare yourselves to others, only to yourself. Be your best YOU!" Words of wisdom, straight out of my mouth, yet so hard to swallow right now. I know it is true, but the sting of rejection is still felt.

So, if you have to say goodbye to me, if I am not allowed to simply slip off unbeknownst to the world around me...please at least make the goodbye feel somewhat authentic? I don't need weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, but a sorrowful smile with a glint of hope would be nice. Just a little something to let me know (or at least imagine) that you cared that I was leaving and wished me well. Just don't let me see you texting someone else when I turn around and take one last glance...or singing hallelujah. Wait. Wait until I am gone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dramatic? Ah, my oldest Little One, where could you have picked up such a skill??
I, too, am having to go through papers and momentoes, searching for the documents I need to enroll your youngest brother in school. A very bittersweet experience, one I could've lived without today. Caseworker documentation about taking children away from us and placing them in black foster homes because we're white. Pictures of children lost. Mothers Day cards from kids long-gone from our lives. Poems written by you.

You will soon be long-gone as well. I always knew you would eventually move away--maybe to Connecticut or Washington State or Florida so you could be Snow White. But OMAN? I'm trying to be supportive, but it is so dang hard to be supportive when my heart is breaking. My job as your mom was over long ago, and I no longer have the right to tell you what to do.

You have no idea how much you will be missed, how much influence you've had on others. You don't know the difference you've made by simply being you. You with the unwavering integrity. You with the feisty attitude. You always offering to help, always being there when I need you. You being gone to another place on the other side of the world.

So yes, I concentrate on the grandkids leaving, and I cry and I just hate it. But I avoid thinking about their mother leaving because I simply can't face it yet. I will put that off until the very end when you are stepping on that plane, because that way the torture and sadness will be of a shorter duration.

So when you leave, know that your dad and I care every bit as much for you as you do for us. Probably much more. It pretty much hurts to know that you think you won't be missed when you are gone, and that you think you aren't important to anyone.

But rest assured that when you look back after telling me goodbye, I will not be texting anyone else. I will simply be doing all I can to hold myself together and not let you see me cry. No drama in those words--just the truth.

I love you, Sweetie.
Mom

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

I didn't mean you! You are an obvious exception to the rule.

I am blushing in blogworld...thank you for the loving support.

I meant all of the little people. A mother is not one of those, although I daresay that people discount a mother's love...they think it is a given. We both know it is not. There are lots of mothers out there who could care much much less. That is how they ended up in your home.

So thank you.

Suburban said...

Suck it up, the best is yet to come. Honest.

Moving overseas is the true Acid Test of friendship. Though the results can be painful, you'll sometimes have the pleasure of discovering that your truest friends are people you never expected.

Living in a country where there are so many expats also means your friendships stay fresh. People move away before they ever become anoying, and you are left with a myriad of fabulous vacation possibilities if you want to visit your favorite people who have moved away.

Transience is bliss. Head high, you're almost there.

Also, that was a beautiful thing your mom wrote. She brought tears to my eyes.

Angry In Oman said...

I think some people are just so overwhlemed by goodbyes that they often find it easier to pick fights, cause arguements and end things on a bad note. It makes it easy.

Not saying goodbye also makes it easy. No one wants to cry, be upset, have their own heart broken, no one wants to be left behind.

Don't be too sweet to realize that people will be jealous too... you'll be going off with your beautiful family to live a new and exciting life in an beautiful, exotic country. It can be tough to take for some.

Amber's mom, you are a gem.

Anonymous said...

I know where your'e coming from, and it does really bruise your heart. I hope your move away is a great adventure for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have time to go back and read new comments on your old blogs. Amber, this one made me so very sad because whoever that friend was has no idea what they lost. I was slow to get to know you and am now wishing we'd had more time to develop a friendship, shame on me. I hope that somehow, someway we can see a new friendship grow even as you go so far away to start your new amazing adventure. Trust me when I say that I will miss seeing your bright face at Henderson Middle School

Trish Rupert